May 13, 2009

70th Anniversary of Departure of St. Louis

It's May 13, 2009. Exactly 70 years ago today over 900 people were readying to board the MS St. Louis. They were leaving their homes, their lives, often their families... all with the hope of gaining freedom. Sadly, many of those passengers' freedom was short-lived.

Today THE OTHER HALF OF LIFE is available in bookstores. I hope it encourages more people, especially younger generations, to learn about the St. Louis. Today I personally am thinking about how lucky I am to have always had a safe and free life. So many others today still are struggling against tyranny, racism, and violence.

I received a very nice phone message yesterday from the Karliners, saying they had received the copies of the book I sent them and how happy they were with the final product. Herbert Karliner was one of the passengers on the St. Louis who eventually did gain freedom and a new life. Much of his family did not.

I also received a very nice email from Anthony Blechner, son of Oskar Blechner, another passenger of the St. Louis, who sadly is no longer with us. Anthony has alerted me to another website that deals specifically with Oskar's story. Please check it out to learn more: www.blechner.com/ssstlouis

No comments:

Post a Comment